Our daughters are at risk. No matter where we live.
No matter who we are. Here are just some of the alarming ways they are manifesting as risks to our daughters today:
- Adolescent depression rates are on the rise, with tween girls especially at risk.
- An increase in reported anxiety, sleeplessness, loneliness, worry, and dependence coincides with the release of the first smartphone.
- Rates of ER visits for treatment of cutting, burning, and ingesting poison has surged 18.8% between 2009 and 2015 for girls aged 10-14.
- The average age of onset for anorexia has dropped from 13-17 to 9-12, with children as young as 7 being diagnosed. 60% of elementary and middle school teachers say they witness eating disorders in their schools.
While many girls won’t show up in the scary stats above, most will struggle with body image issues, mean-girl moments, boy craziness, materialism, academic pressure, and a host of more common problems. Some women enjoy healthier communities, family support and the financial means to take action to reduce the risk for their girls. Some don’t. And that’s where you come in.
True Girl Nation is a network of moms walking with other moms in need, to help them reduce the risk for their daughters. From free tickets to our events to emergency funding during unemployment to strategic training in at-risk communities to outreach events, True Girl Nation enables moms who want and need to take action connect to moms who have hearts generous enough to help them do it. Will you be one of them?
Things We Do With Your Help!
(At least a few of them.)
TGN Page Statistics
Marlene Luna prayed for years that a ministry like True Girl would come to her community in the Dominican Republic- a small city with the world’s highest teen pregnancy rate. God worked in miraculous ways and now Marlene leads Pura Libertad/Chicas Verdadera, our team in the Dominican Republic! Here are a few of our goals in the DR:
- Decrease teen pregnancy
- Increase marriages
- Increase father involvement in families
Our Chicas Verdadera team is preparing to start their second tour around the Dominican Republic, and we couldn’t do it without your help!